Monday, November 27, 2006

John Kricfalusi is Always Right

Or at least he'd like you to think he is.

This is the only explanation I can think of as to why he wouldn't post my comments on his blog. I'm new to blogging, we have no history or previous disagreements, I don't even have a shitty avatar for him to dislike. So what the dealio John, why no post?

I don't remember exactly what it was I wrote but here it is in a nut shell... John was on a pretty typical rant about how anything that doen't ressemble his work is crap. Almost everything done today is in a "FAKE UPA" style he says. That may be true but he doesn't touch on the real issue - WHY? I know why, I'm just surprised he doesn't. So I thought I'd ask him.

Here's the comment he found unworthy of his blog:

Curious if you could give me an example of a long format FLASH series that works well with your organic marshmallow style. I would just love to feast my eyes on all of your points of view working well together under the constraints of a REALISTIC budget and schedule created by a brain dead exec with zero knowledge of design theory or animation history in general. Ah hell never mind, I'll save you the trouble, there aren't any nor will there be. The "fake" UPA style is used because that's what execs think is cool and it's virtually the only style managable within the software.

Your cause might be better served if you created a blog that tried to brainwash executives instead. 99% of the artists who comment here share your point of view already...and I bet some of those artists weren't even working in the 50's. Your idealistic "Animation World of Tomorrow" will only exist when the executives of today disappear.


"I just don't understand the loud music these kids of today are listening to" is a pretty sad argument.

Sure there's a little venom in there but John K's used to that. Maybe my argument was too basic. I realize that I used "executive" as a blanket word to cover everyone in the industry that isn't an artist but you catch my drift.

The cartoons of today are a direct result of the industries demands on the artist and their desires to meet those demands ( a.k.a stay employed ) are broadcast daily. In most cases it simple, no time or money for quality. Break it down and move it around.

10 Comments:

Blogger Justin K. Thompson said...

Ah, glad to hear a bit of reason thrown into this tired and pointless debate. I found myself nodding in agreement with many points you made. It's too bad more of that reasoning doesn't make into the conversation more often. Then again, how can it if people won't post it? I'm glad you bothered to.

Oh, and thanks for stopping by.

8:29 PM  
Blogger ArtZombie said...

It may be that you caught him flat footed (hehe)
I would love to see some experimentation with different styles -not necessarily the marshmallow on drugs look mind you (though that would be just as cool to see)
A lot of suits are a bit weak in the knees when it comes to making a jump on uncertainty. Something I don't think they can be faulted for because when accountability comes rolling around with a failure, who the hell wants to raise their hand to a free spoonfull of aggro (or worse?) So, for now we're stuck with "Fake-UPA" which inevitably will change ever so slowly as art direction takes these small flares of artistic license...

9:14 PM  
Blogger hobo divine said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:24 AM  
Blogger ArtZombie said...

Blah. How come there's no edit button? I noticed a typo at right when I clicked publish... Anyway cut/paste/edit:

@Hobo

Hmm... brings to mind Plimpton's (SP?) work... Is he still doing stuff?

1:42 PM  
Blogger i am anonymous said...

hobo divine - Those clips were beyond belief. What a talent you have. I hope you use it for good?

7:20 PM  
Blogger i am anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting every one.

7:21 PM  
Blogger hobo divine said...

Hello "I am anonymous".

Thank you for the lovely comment on my blog.
Don't worry about John K, even though he means well, He is very conflicted and closed minded.

How do I know this? I animated on the Second season of Ren & Stimpy before he got sacked.

I don't know what the debate/argument that you were having with John, but maybe this is what he meant.

(I am only guessing)

The biggest difference between stylized animation by UPA and stylized aniamtion done today is this:

Only the images are stylized not the movements.
(which is fine)
Back then they were trying to expose the drawings by having things on 4's and 6's, or characters hover in the air and legs pinwheel.
Not to be cool but to rebel against the full approach Disney was doing.

(again this is only a guess)

but whatever I mean I do fake UPA too:

http://hobodivine.blogspot.com/2006/05/you-do-not-do.html

http://hobodivine.blogspot.com/2006/07/begin-world.html

Peace!

7:48 AM  
Blogger hobo divine said...

Hi,
I deleted and reposted my comment due to all the typos *blush*

Take care and thanks for the kind words.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Anibator said...

This is the great blog you say I ripped off? You haven't even posted anything in MONTHS!

"I did it first"... christ...

10:13 AM  
Blogger i am anonymous said...

i was kidding when i said that you retard - nice sense of humor mr. animation...go put on a tie!!

5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home